Smallbone & Son Cars
Quality car retailer of Birmingham
Smallbone & Son Cars was established in 1929 by Percy Smallbone. Percy began his working life in 1916 at the Austin motor factory in Longbridge, Birmingham. His ambition was to open his own garage business and in 1929 Percy successfully managed to acquire the old Bedfords garage situated on this site, making it probably the oldest motor vehicle premises in the Midlands. In the early 1930s, Percy's son Harold joined the company. Together they began to build the business repairing and selling cars. After Percy passed away in 1952, Harold took over Smallbone & Son Cars and we became one of the first garages in the UK to carry out MOT tests when they were introduced by the government in 1960.
Harold was joined in 1962 by eldest son Anthony and in 1965 by younger son Philip. In the 1970s and 80s the business continued to grow and an indoor car showroom was built next to the workshop to help with the increasing demand for quality low mileage cars that Smallbone & Son Cars specialise in. Harold sadly passed away in 1987, and in 1989 the fourth generation of the family, Philip's eldest son Martin joined the business followed in 1993 by Phil's youngest son Vincent. Now in 2018, Philip, Martin and Vincent, together with their fully trained experienced staff, maintain a very high standard of workmanship, customer service and retailing quality low mileage used cars.